MAKING MOBILE RAY TRACING REAL
- Terms and conditions
Making mobile ray tracing real
Imagination Technologies has been at the forefront of graphics technology for decades and continues to push into uncharted graphical territory. This time that push takes us to a new level of ray tracing, taking gorgeous lighting, realistic shadows, and perfect reflections to a mobile platform.
We want you to join us on the next step of our journey with Imaginations Originals. Using Unreal Engine 4’s mobile quality pre-set and real time ray tracing, show us some of the gorgeous mobile game art of tomorrow. From characters, to environments, to gorgeous props and dioramas, we want you to demonstrate the power of tomorrows gaming on the go.
With a panel of guest judges from across the industry and a cash prize of £1,000* enter now and take part in the next ray tracing revolution.
*Or equivalent converted currency based on artists country of residence.
How it works
Registrations now closed.
Winners, and shortlist announced.
15 March 2021
We want you to showcase the potential of ray tracing on mobile. All forms of 3D game art are accepted, want to show a radiantly lit character, a sun drenched environment or a diorama of props, you can enter it. Mobile game art can be a challenging area to create truly immersive visuals so you will need to use every trick in your artistic toolbox to create a prize-winning Imagination Original.
- 1x real-time 3D mobile quality artwork (environment, character, diorama etc.). This should be rendered from multiple angles and perspectives.
- 3x high resolution renders (1920px or above on the longest edge) showcasing the artwork.
- 1x Callout sheet showcasing textures and model wireframes for key assets present in the artwork.
- 1x 30 second video containing, fly throughs, or turntables to showcase the scene hosted on YouTube or Vimeo and embedded.
All textures and materials must conform to the guidelines in the reference material. Models should make effective use of texturing and be modelled with an efficient polygon count to ensure smooth performance on mobile devices.
All works must be created solely for the purposes of this competition and cannot infringe any IP rights by being based on existing IPs.
All assets must be created by the artist entering the competition submission. The use of skyboxes, blueprints and particle affects from 3rd parties will be considered but must be referenced appropriately in the final submission.
This competition is open to sole entrants, no teams will be accepted.
Entry to the competition will close on Thursday 14 January 2021 at 09:00 GMT.
Submissions of completed works will close on Monday 15 February 2021 at 09:00 GMT.
Imagination Technologies and the guest judges are the judges of this challenge. Their judgement will be final.
Submitted works will be judged in 2 phases:
- Phase 1 will judge all works based on the submitted high resolution images and videos. Judges will be assessing the overall visual impact of the work including the modelling, texturing and lighting of the final artwork.
- Phase 2 will shortlist 25 entrants who will be judged based on the technical efficiency and implementation of their Unreal Engine project.
Announcement of winners
Winners will be announced on Monday 15 March 2021 at 15:00 GMT.
1st place will be awarded a prize of £1,000 or the equivalent value in the winners local currency. (see terms and conditions for more details on conversions)
There will be 2 runner up prizes of £250 or the equivalent value in the winners local currency. (see terms and conditions for more details on conversions)
Entries to be announced shortly.
- This competition starts at 00.01 on 9 December 2020. Entrants will need to (i) register before 09.00 on 14 January 2021, and (ii) provide their Submission (defined below) before 09.00 on 15 February 2021, when the competition closes.
- To enter, entrants should submit four images of a 3D environment using ray-traced lighting and an Unreal Engine project file, in accordance with the instructions given on our webpage (“Submission”). You must ensure that you have the legal rights to any materials you include as part of your Submission.
- The winner and two (2) runners-up will be selected by our judging panel who will determine, in their opinion, which Submissions demonstrate the best combination of artistic merit and technical ability. The winner will receive a cash prize of £1,000. The two (2) runners-up will each receive £250. Prizes will be awarded in local currency equivalent if the winner is resident outside of the United Kingdom. The local currency equivalent will be equal to pound sterling amount stated above, converted at the then-current exchange rate published by Reuters on the date of payment).
- Winners will be asked to provide pictures of themselves with the prize for use on our social media channels.
- Each winner will be contacted via the contact details provided to us upon submission of their entry and announced on our social media channels on or around 15 March 2021. You consent to the use of your full name for the purposes of making such announcement, but you may withdraw this consent at any time. If you withdraw this consent and you are selected as a winner, we reserve the right to make such announcement using your surname and county, consistent with the Committee on Advertising Practice Code.
- You acknowledge that we will use your personal data for the purposes of administering this competition. Any other use of your personal data may be subject to other terms and conditions or consents given by you in addition to these terms.
- This competition is subject to the Standard Competition Terms and Conditions set out below.
Standard Competition Terms and Conditions
- The promoter of the competition is: Imagination Technologies Limited, Imagination House, Home Park Estate, Kings Langley, Herts, WD4 8LZ (“we”, “us” or “our”).
- Your entry in the competition constitutes your acceptance of these legally binding terms and conditions.
- In order to be eligible to win, you must:
- be over 18 years of age;
- have access to the internet; and
- not be one of our employees or an employee of our associated companies (including their family/household members).
- Only one entry per person is permitted, unless otherwise stated. Automated entries will be invalidated, including multiple entries from the same IP address or telephone number range.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are not received by us.
- Names of the winners may be used by us for promotional and publicity purposes, unless you otherwise notify us at the time of submitting your entry. Winners may be requested to take part in or co-operate with reasonable publicity.
- Your personal data will be used strictly to administer the competition or otherwise only with your consent and will be handled in accordance with current UK data protection legislation.
- No alternative prize(s) are available on request but in the event the advertised competition prize(s) are unavailable we reserve the right to offer alternative prize(s) of equal or greater value. Prizes are non-transferable.
- The competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, any particular social media provider or platform.
- We will not be liable for any damage, loss or disappointment suffered by any person taking part or not being able to take part in a competition. By participating in the competition, to the extent permissible by law you release us from any and all claims, damages or liabilities arising from or relating to the acceptance of any prizes in connection with your participation in the promotion. Nothing in this clause shall act so as to exclude our liability for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence. We are not liable in the event that any portion of the promotion is cancelled due to weather, fire, strike, acts of war or terrorism, pandemic or any other condition beyond their control.
- You will at all times remain the legal and beneficial owner of all intellectual property rights in your Submission but you hereby grant to us a worldwide, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, fully paid-up licence, (with right to sub-license) to use your Submission in any way we see fit.
- We may, at our sole discretion, disqualify you from the competition on the basis of any fraudulent, rude, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate behaviour, as determined by us in our sole discretion.
- Our decisions and those of the judging panel are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- This competition and these terms and conditions are each governed by English law.
SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
For your chance to win £1,000* submit your entry now.
Please read the terms and conditions carefully, as any entry that does not fully meet all requirements will be disqualified.
*Or equivalent converted currency based on artists country of residence.